VIA SPLUGA THE HISTORICAL TRAIL ACROSS THE SPLUGENPASS
The Via Spluga with the Via Septimer and Via Bregaglia are three classic and cultural hiking routes in the central Alps which, throughout the centuries, have linked the town of Chiavenna to the towns on the north side of the alps, over the passes of Splugen (2115m), Septimer (2311m) and Maloja(1815m).
They bring together people from Grigione, Rhaeto-Romance, Walser and the population of Lombardia. Most of the Via Bregaglia, Via Spluga and Via Septimer paths wind their ways gently along old mule tracks which have either maintained their original characteristics or have at least been restored to something like their natural state.
The routes, as well as offering the opportunity to appreciate a piece of genuine history, also permit the walker to get to know a very particular mountain terrain in company with the local population.
The Via Spluga trail connects Chiavenna to Thusis over Splugenpass (About 60km) and the exemplary villages of Campodolcino, Splugen and Andeer. Exceptional points are the canyons of Cardinello and Via Mala.
It is possible to enjoy a shorter part of the Via Spluga Trail with 2 days of trip, from Splugen to Campodolcino. In summer a daily bus connects these two villages.
Organised trips (2 or 3 days) are available directly at the local tourist offices and on the official website: Via Spluga
WHAT TO DO ON THE VIA SPLUGA AND IN THE NEARBY REGION
ON THE TRAIL
1. Discover the deep canyon of the Via Mala.
2. Visit the popolar church of Zillis, famous for its wooden ceiling.
3. Realx in the hot water of the Andeer therme.
4. Walk in the characteristic alpine village of Splugen.
5. Celebrate with a selfie your long trail on the top of the Splugenpass, the highest point of the Via Spluga.
6. Enjoy the view of the Montespluga lake.
7. Trekking along the Cardinello canyon.
8. Visit the Palaz historical museum in Campodolcino.
IN THE NEARBY REGION
1. Climbing and Alpinism on the Piz Badile and in the Albigna valley.
2. Vertemate Franchi Palace, in the town of Prosto, a fascinating villa of the XVI century, with an italian garden.
3. Discover the panoramic village of Soglio, the terrace of Val Bregaglia.
4. Ela Park, the biggest natural park of Switzerland, a paradise for wilderness lovers.
6. Reach by bike or motorbike, the top of the epics Julier pass and Albula pass.
7. Visit the beautiful lakes of Engadin
8. Alpinism, skiing and freeride in Valle Spluga and in the Madesimo ski area.
WHERE TO SLEEP ON THE VIA SPLUGA - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
Via Spluga is an historical trail between Thusis and Chiavenna, across the Splugen pass. On the Via Spluga it is possible to find an accomodation in the villages of the Rhein valley and Spluga Valley.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses and book the best solution for You, using this links:
HOW TO GET TO THE VIA SPLUGA
The Splugen pass (2115m) is located between Switzerland (Splugen) and Italy (Madesimo - Montespluga).
The Splugen pass is reachble by car and is connected by pubblic busses in summer only, from Chiavenna and Splugen.
From Chur or St. Moritz to Thusis, then 40 min by bus to reach Splugen.
From Milan to Chiavenna in italy, then 60 min by bus to reach Montespluga.
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
ZHR - Zurich airport 3,00h
DON'T MISS THIS TRAIL OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE VIA SPLUGA?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.