CROTTI OF VAL CHIAVENNA AND THE "SOREL" AIR
The Crotti of Valchiavenna are natural ravines which penetrate within the remains of ancient landslides in the distant past have become detached from the sides of the valley.
Inside the Crotti, between the cracks of the rocks, blows constantly a current of cold air, locally called Sorèl, which is maintained at a constant temperature of about 8 degrees Celsius in summer and winter.
By virtue of these natural features, Crottos have been and are still commonly used to store food, bresaola or "brisaola", cheese and wines.
In many cases the local taverns offering local products such as pizzoccheri of Valtellina or Valchiavenna, polenta taragna and brisaola.
Typical natural cellars where to taste red wine, polenta, roasted meats and bresaola salted beef.
Because of its importance in food and in the ethnography of the area, the crotto was tied at festivals folk tradition. The most famous is certainly the Festival of crotti of Chiavenna "Sagra dei Crotti".
Main Crotti areas in Valchiavenna:
In Chiavenna: Pratogiano and Poiatengo
In Piuro: Prosto and Santa Croce
In Prata Camportaccio: Tanno and Prata around the Torchio area
In Mese: Scandolera wood.
Remarkable Crotti Restaurants:
Crotto Ombra in Chiavenna
Crotto Ubiali in Chiavenna
Crotto Belvedere in Prosto di Piuro
Crotto Quartino in Santa Croce di Piuro
CLOSE TO OUR HEART
"Walking in the village, with the typical glass of the "sagra dei crotti" food festival, following our "Andem a Crot" food itinerary."
WHAT TO VISIT IN CHIAVENNA AND IN THE NEARBY AREA
IN THE VILLAGE
1. Walking in the medieval pedestrian streets, with squares and bridges over the river Mera, richs of bars and shops.
2. Visit the Collegiata church of San Lorenzo and the cloister with the Museum of the Treasury, containing "Peace" precious gospelcover of gold and gems.
3. The Mulino Bottonera, a mill of the nineteenth century water-powered.
4. Half day in the nature. A trekking from Piazza Castello to the Botanical Park of Paradiso and to the natural park of glacial phenomena "Marmitte dei Giganti".
5. Of Course don't miss the Crotti, typical natural cellars with restaurant.
6. Taste the famous Bresaola or Brisaola, delicious local salted beef.
7. Save the date of the "Sagra dei Crotti" food festival. Every year in September.
IN THE NEARBY AREA
1. The Acquafraggia waterfall in Piuro, an amazing spectacle of the nature.
2. Vertemate Franchi Palace, in the town of Piuro (5km from Chiavenna), a fascinating villa of the XVI century, with an italian garden.
3. The panoramic village of Pianazzola, above Chiavenna.
4. Canyoning adventure in river of Val Bodengo.
5. The log and historical trails of Via Spluga and Via Bregaglia.
6. Bike to the Como lake. 25 km from Chiavenna following a new bike road, beside river Mera and lake Novate.
7. Ski, Freeride and Alpinism in Madesimo and Valle Spluga.
WHERE TO SLEEP IN CHIAVENNA - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
Chiavenna is the main town of the valley that offers fewer hotels and a good number of holiday houses. It is possible to find an accomodation also in others villages of the valley.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses in Chiavenna and book the best solution for You, using this link:
HOW TO GET TO CHIAVENNA
Located between the Como lake and the Maloja and Spluga Passes, Val Chiavenna is reachble by car driving on the 36ss road.
The main town Chiavenna is well connected by busses to Switzerland (Splugen, St. Moritz and Lugano) and by train to Milan.
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
ZHR - Zurich airport 3,30h
DON'T MISS THIS SITE OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE CROTTI?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.