BRESAOLA SALTED BEEF OF VALTELLINA AND VALCHIAVENNA
Bresaola of Valtellina, or Brisaola in the valley of Chiavenna, is a typical salted beef that has been aged two or three months, until it becomes hard and turns a dark red, almost purple colour.
It is made from top (inside) round, and is lean and tender, with a sweet, musty smell.
It originated in Valtellina and Valchiavenna, two valleis in the center ot the Alps of northern Italy's Lombardy region.The word comes from the diminutive of Lombard bresada (braised).
As a starter , bresaola is usually sliced paper thin and served at room temperature or slightly chilled. It is most commonly eaten on its own, but may be drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice or balsamic vinegar, and served with rocket salad, cracked black pepper, and freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.
Brisaola hanging in a typical and natural cave, the Crotto, of Chiavenna valley.
The bresaola produced in Valtellina and Valchiavenna is now a protected geographical indication (PGI) under EU Regulation 2081/92. Since this designation, smoked dried beef made outside Valtellina may carry a generic name such as viande séchée or "beef prosciutto".
CLOSE TO OUR HEARTS
"The taste of this typical salted beef that we ordered in Chiavenna during a dinner in a characteristic Crotto restaurant"
WHERE TO TASTE AND BUY THE BEST BRESAOLA SALTED BEEF
In every restaurant of Valtellina and Valchiavenna is possible to taste a good Bresaola.
The are small good production in some butcher's shop of Valtellina and Valchiavenna.
It is also possible to buy online a good Brisaola (Classica, Riserva, Preziosa or Vaschetta) and to select your size (portion of sliced Brisaola - a piece of 1,5 kg - a piece 3 kg) to be delivered directly to your home.
Use the follow link, together with our Promo Code EXPLORALP, to buy online your Brisaola with a Discounted Price:
WHAT TO VISIT IN VAL CHIAVENNA AND IN THE NEARBY AREA
IN THE VILLAGE OF CHIAVENNA:
1. Walking in the medieval pedestrian streets of the center, with squares and bridges over the river Mera, richs of bars and shops.
2. Visit the Collegiata church of San Lorenzo and the cloister with the Museum of the Treasury, containing"Peace" precious gospelcover of gold and gems.
3. Tthe Mulino Bottonera, a mill of the nineteenth century water-powered.
4. Half day in the nature. A trekking from Piazza Castello to the Botanical Park of Paradiso, and to the natural park of glacial phenomena "Marmitte dei Giganti".
5. Of Course don't miss the "Crotti", typical caves with restaurant, located in the "Pratogiano" area.
6. Taste the famous Bresaola or Brisaola, delicious local ham of cow.
7. save the date of the "Sagra dei Crotti" food festival. Every year in September.
8. Don't miss the day of Brisaola "di della Brisaola" in Chiavenna every October.
IN THE VALLEY AND IN THE NEARBY AREA:
1. The Acquafraggia waterfall in Piuro, an amazing spectacle of the nature.
2. Vertemate Franchi Palace, in the town of Piuro (5km from Chiavenna), a fascinating villa of the XVI century, with an italian garden.
3. The panoramic village of Pianazzola, above Chiavenna.
4. Canyoning adventure in river of Val Bodengo.
5. The log and historical trails of Via Spluga and Via Bregaglia.
6. Bike to the Como lake. 25 km from Chiavenna following a new bike road, beside river Mera and lake Novate.
7. Ski, Freeride and Alpinism in Madesimo and Valle Spluga.
WHERE TO SLEEP IN VAL CHIAVENNA - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
Chiavenna is the main town of the valley that offers fewer hotels and a good number of holiday houses. It is possible to find an accomodation also in others villages of the valley.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses in Chiavenna and book the best solution for You, using this link:
HOW TO GET TO VAL CHIAVENNA
Located between the Como lake and the Maloja and Spluga Passes, Val Chiavenna is reachble by car driving on the 36ss road.
The main town Chiavenna is well connected by busses to Switzerland (Splugen, St. Moritz and Lugano) and by train to Milan.
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
ZHR - Zurich airport 3,30h
DON'T MISS THIS PRODUCT OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE BRESAOLA?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.