CHIAVENNA THE MEDIEVAL VILLAGE IN THE CENTER OF THE ALPS
The romantic town of Chiavenna, awarded the orange flag of quality by the Italian Touring Club, is the main town of ValChiavenna, with Valtellina are part of Sondrio province, and cosily nestled between the mountains and cliffs, with peaks overhead reaching to 3000m.
The village, which already existed in Roman times with the Latin name of Clavenna, links its history to the caravans of the Alps, through the Spluga and Septimer passes, transporting goods between northern and southern Europe.
"We were born and raised in Chiavenna. This little place in the heart of the Alps had been our world for so many years, but it is definitely worth a visit. Our friends and family that come to visit us, recognize its charm. It is easy to lose track of time while talking in front of a good coffee.
Chiavenna may be the best place to stay and discover the Como Lake and Switzerland’s surroundings. We love its little streets, typical "crotti”, woods, and mountains. It will be forever in our hearts. "
Fabio and Paolo
The center has preserved the precious medieval architectural features, offering the visitor interesting views along the river Mera and the main street Via Dolzino.
Also known for the famous "Crotti", natural cellars fed by subterranean currents of air at a constant temperature, ideal for storage of cheeses, meat sand the characteristic Bresaola called in Chiavenna "Brisaola". In some cases used as typical restaurants open to the public.
WHAT TO VISIT IN CHIAVENNA AND IN THE NEARBY AREA
IN THE VILLAGE
1. Walking in the medieval pedestrian streets of the center, with squares and bridges over the river Mera, richs of bars and shops.
2. Visit the Collegiata church of San Lorenzo and the cloister with the Museum of the Treasury, containing"Peace" precious gospelcover of gold and gems.
3. Tthe Mulino Bottonera, a mill of the nineteenth century water-powered.
4. Half day in the nature. A trekking from Piazza Castello to the Botanical Park of Paradiso, and to the natural park of glacial phenomena "Marmitte dei Giganti".
5. Of Course don't miss the "Crotti", typical caves with restaurant, located in the "Pratogiano" area.
6. Taste the famous Bresaola or Brisaola, delicious local salted beef.
7. save the date of the "Sagra dei Crotti" food festival. Every year in September.
8. Don't miss the day of Brisaola "di della Brisaola" in Chiavenna every October.
IN THE NEARBY AREA
1. The Acquafraggia waterfall in Piuro, an amazing spectacle of the nature.
2. Vertemate Franchi Palace, in the town of Piuro (5km from Chiavenna), a fascinating villa of the XVI century, with an italian garden.
3. The panoramic village of Pianazzola, above Chiavenna.
4. Canyoning adventure in river of Val Bodengo.
5. The log and historical trails of Via Spluga and Via Bregaglia.
6. Bike to the Como lake. 25 km from Chiavenna following a new bike road, beside river Mera and lake Novate.
7. Ski, Freeride and Alpinism in Madesimo and Valle Spluga.
WHERE TO SLEEP IN CHIAVENNA - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
Chiavenna is a village that offers fewer hotels and a good number of holiday houses. It is possible to find an accomodation also in others villages of the valley.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses in Chiavenna and book the best solution for You, using this link:
HOW TO GET TO CHIAVENNA
Located between the Como lake and the Maloja and Spluga Passes, Chiavenna is reachble by car driving on the 36ss road.
Chiavenna is well connected by busses to Switzerland (Splugen, St. Moritz and Lugano) and by train to Milan.
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
ZHR - Zurich airport 3,30h
DON'T MISS THIS VILLAGE OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT CHIAVENNA?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.