ALTA VIA DEL LARIO: SOLITARY TREKKING AMONG THE LAKE COMO PEAKS
The Alta Via del Lario Occidentale is an old-fashioned route, not too difficult, but long and lonely, and can be covered in about four days. An experience for those who love nature, the never too harsh views of the Pre-Alps, the rural and not much-frequented area, and has good training.
The Alta Via del Lario Occidentale begins above the mountains of Gera Lario, alternatively a little further north, from Paiedo in Val Chiavenna.
- WHAT TO DO AND SEE ON THE ALTA VIA DEL LARIO TRAIL
- WHERE TO SLEEP NEARBY THE ALTA VIA DEL LARIO TRAIL
- HOW TO GET TO THE ALTA VIA DEL LARIO TRAIL
The itinerary winds for about 60 km with a positive difference in height of almost 5000m and a maximum altitude of 2520m. The path is in some places exposed to equipped points, such as the Ferrata of the Ledù peak. The support points are few and often closed (it is, therefore, necessary to request the keys downstream).
The Ledù bivouac (about 8 places in a small sheet metal structure) is the first shelter and the only one always open, located immediately after the via Ferrata in an extremely solitary and panoramic place.
"The Alta Via del Lario was one of the first experiences we undertook with a good dose of youthful unconsciousness, in the late winter period. The Ledù via Ferrata with its snow and wind is unforgettable for us, but this spectacular itinerary, if followed from spring to autumn, offers wide pastures, ridges, passes, and long valleys.
A fantastic wilderness world on the edge of the sky to be covered slowly.
The icing on the cake, for us, was the dinner and the bottle of wine enjoyed at the refuge Menaggio after four days of walking "
Along the Alta Via del Lario you will cross long valleys, in particular, the valley of Stazzona, you will cross many passes, entering Switzerland for a while and you will walk along some crests, reaching Monte Grona, the last peak of the itinerary, which overlooks the village of Menaggio.
From here you can end this fantastic experience by relaxing at the Rifugio Menaggio, with an excellent dinner and perhaps an overnight stay, to enjoy the fantastic night view over the villages of Lake Como, including the famous Bellagio.
WHAT TO DO AND VISIT ON THE ALTA VIA DEL LARIO AND IN THE NEARBY AREA
ON THE ALTA VIA DEL LARIO TRAIL
1. Dive into the solitary nature between the valleys and the passes of the Alta Via del Lario.
2. Discover the first stretch of the Alta Via by visiting the Gera Lario Mountains.
3. Face the via Ferrata of the Ledù peak and spend the night in the panoramic Ledù bivouac.
4. Wild nature in the long valley of Stazzona.
5. Reach the top of Monte Grona, the last stage before descending to the valley.
6. Celebrate your adventure along the Alta Via with a dinner at the panoramic Menaggio refuge.
IN THE NEARBY AREA
2. Visit the militay fort of Montecchio in Colico.
3. Kitesurf and windsurf in Colico and Gera Lario.
5. Bike to the famous Bellagio across the hills and visit the museum of the bikers at the Santuario Della Madonna del Ghisallo.
7. Don't miss a visit of Como and Brunate.
8. MTB on the Tracciolino Trail.
9. Visit the Ossuccio and the Comacina island.
EXCLUSIVE EXCURSIONS AND ACTIVITIES OF THE AREA
INFO AND BOOKING
WHERE TO SLEEP NEARBY THE ALTA VIA DEL LARIO - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
The Alta via del Lario is a long trail between the north area of the Como lake to Menaggio.
On the trail there are only few bivaoucs (in the beginning of the trail, the Ledu bivouac) and refuges (at the end of the trail the Rifugio Menaggio).
It is possible to find hotels and a number of B&B and holiday houses in the villages of the Como lake.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses nearby Domaso and book the best solution for You, using this link:
HOW TO GET TO THE ALTA VIA DEL LARIO
The Alta Via del Lario can be started from the Gera Lario Mountains, 20 minutes by car from Gera, or Paiedo in Valchiavenna, both places reachable only by car.
The itinerary ends at the Monti di Breglia above Menaggio.
VIEW THE TECHNICAL DATA SHEET OF THE CAMP TO CAMP ROUTE
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
DON'T MISS THIS ITINERARY OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE ALTA VIA DEL LARIO?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.