THE WWI MILITARY MUSEUM OF THE FORT OF MONTECCHIO IN COLICO
This fort was built in a strategic point nearby the village of Colico, where Valchiavenna and Valtellina meet, just in front of the Como Lake.
The fort was completed at the end of 1914 and it is one of the most technological Italian military compounds of World War One, it was part of the long "Linea Cadorna" defence.
The four cannons are still in place today and they can fire with great precision up to 12 kilometres of distance. Thanks to its leading position, the fort offers a evocative and unique landscape on Lake Como and on the Valtellina and Valchiavenna mountains.
The fort is open to tourists accompanied by guide only and is included in the price of the ticket. It is necessary almost 2h to visit the entire complex and it end on the roof of the main building, where the cannos are located.
WHAT TO DO AND VISIT IN COLICO AND IN THE NEARBY AREA
1. Visit the historical Fort of Montecchio (XX century) and the ruins of the Fort of Fuentes (XIV century).
2. Relax at the Lido of Colico (free access).
3. Fun on the lake with a kitesurf or a windsurf, Altolario (the name of the north side of the como lake) is world famous for these sport.
4. Walk beside the lake at the port of Colico, the right place for a dinner or an apertivo in front of the Como lake.
IN THE NEARBY AREA
1. Take a boat from the beautiful Varenna to Bellagio.
2. Follow the Alta via del Lario long trail.
3. Kitesurf and windsurf in Colico and Gera Lario.
4. A long escursion to the top of Monte Legnone.
5. Bike to the famous Bellagio across the hills and visit the museum of the bikers at the Santuario Della Madonna del Ghisallo.
7. Don't miss a visit of Como and Brunate.
8. MTB on the Tracciolino Trail.
9. Discover the Valchiavenna and Valtellina.
10. Visit the Abbey of Piona and buy the famous Gocce imperiali drops.
EXCLUSIVE EXCURSIONS AND ACTIVITIES IN COLICO
INFO AND BOOKING
WHERE TO SLEEP IN COLICO - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
Colico offers fewer hotels and a number of B&B and holiday houses. It is possible to find an accomodation also in others villages of the Como lake.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses in Colico and book the best solution for You, using this link:
HOW TO GET TO THE COLICO AND FORT OF MONTECCHIO
Located at the north of the Como lake the Fort of Montecchio is in Colico. Colico is reachble by car driving on the 36ss road, exit Colico.
Colico is connected by train to Lecco and Milan and by boat and bus to Como. The fort of Montecchio is at the north side of the village of Colico just beside the lake.
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
DON'T MISS THIS SITE OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE FORT OF MONTECCHIO?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.