THE ABBEY OF PIONA AND THE PRECIOUS IMPERIAL DROPS
The panoramic and isolated place where the Abbey of Piona is located has an ancient origin. It is a small peninsula surrounded by the Como Lake with the Alps in the background. In this mystical place, in 610 A.D. was built an oratory dedicated to Santa Giustina.
In 1138 a first church was consecrated, built in Romanesque style and dedicated to the Virgin Mary, then enlarged and decorated in the following years. In 1252 the present precious cloister, the center of the abbey, was built.
- WHAT TO DO AT THE ABBEY OF PIONA
- WHERE TO SLEEP NEARBY THE ABBEY OF PIONA
- HOW TO GET TO THE ABBEY OF PIONA
Currently, the Cistercian monks live in the abbey. They follow the motto “Ora et Labora”, which stands for pray and work. The monks manage the abbey, taking care of the crops, making, and selling their products to live.
Visits are free during the morning and the afternoon. You can also request a guided tour in advance. Holy masses are daily celebrated in the church.
The Abbey of Piona is a remote place you have to visit with reverence. It is not very big, but the cloister and the church are two beautiful Romanesque jewels, surrounded by nature and with the lake and the Alps on the background.
I have been there many times and I always enjoyed a nice walk to the harbor. I have always bought some typical product at the canteen – I love the liquors and the imperial drops. Watch out when you use them because they are very strong."
The building is surrounded by a large garden, and olive groves extending up to the lake. The visitor can access the church, the cloister – that hosts some art exhibitions too – and walk in the gardens.
The canteen offers natural products such as herbal tea, honey, religious articles, and the famous liquors produced in the abbey. The Imperial Drops – 90% of alcohol – must be tasted drop by drop, with some sugar or added to a coffee.
WHAT TO DO AND VISIT AT THE ABBEY OF PIONA AND IN THE NEARBY AREA
AT THE ABBEY
1. Visit the Romanesque church dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
2. Behold the cloister and its frescos.
3. Walk to the lake and meditate.
4. Visit the canteen, where the monks can show you their natural products, especially the Imperial Drops.
IN THE NEARBY AREA
1. Take a boat from the beautiful Varenna to Bellagio.
2. Visit the militay fort of Montecchio in Colico.
3. Kitesurf and windsurf in Colico and Gera Lario.
4. A long escursion to the top of Monte Legnone.
5. Bike to the famous Bellagio across the hills and visit the museum of the bikers at the Santuario Della Madonna del Ghisallo.
7. Don't miss a visit of Como and Brunate.
8. MTB on the Tracciolino Trail.
9. Visit the museum of Moto Guzzi in Mandello del Lario.
EXCLUSIVE EXCURSIONS AND ACTIVITIES OF THE AREA
INFO AND BOOKING
WHERE TO SLEEP NEARBY THE ABBEY OF PIONA - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
The Abbey of Piona is on the smal hill of Olgiasca, part of Piona that offers fewer hotels and a number of B&B and holiday houses. It is possible to find an accomodation also in others villages of the Como lake.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses nearby Piona and book the best solution for You, using this link:
HOW TO GET TO THE ABBEY OF PIONA
Located at the north of the Como lake the Abbey of Piona is in Olgiasca, part of the village of Piona. Piona is reachble by car driving on the 36ss road, exit Colico.
Piona is connected by busses to Colico and Bellano.
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
DON'T MISS THIS SITE OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE ABBEY OF PIONA?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.