HERMITAGE OF SANTA CATERINA DEL SASSO AT THE LAKE MAGGIORE
When you visit the wonderful Hermitage of Santa Caterina del Sasso, you feel like if you are traveling into the Middle Ages. The structure is nestled in the rock of a wall bathed by the waters of Lake Maggiore, and it is amazing. .
- WHAT TO DO IN SANTA CATERINA DEL SASSO AND NEARBY
- WHERE TO SLEEP NEARBY SANTA CATERINA DEL SASSO
- HOW TO GET TO SANTA CATERINA DEL SASSO
The itinerary, to reach the Hermitage of Santa Caterina del Sasso, begins in Leggiuno where you can park your car near the visitor center. A long 268-steps staircase descends the side of a fortress to the first building of the convent. You can also use the paid service lift (1 euro each way)
If you want to live something unforgettable, reach Santa Caterina del Sasso by boat. The service is offered by Lake Maggiore boats leaving from Stresa, or by taxi boat (from Laveno or other villages on the lake). From the landing you have to climb about 80 steps to reach the convent.
Santa Caterina del Sasso is composed of three architectural buildings dating back to the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries and is a masterpiece of art and architecture. At the end of the long staircase you reach the southern convent and then a porch with arches, famous for the panoramic photos of the lake. Then you enter the main core composed of the monastery and the Romanesque church, decorated with medieval frescoes.
The access to the hermitage of Santa Caterina del Sasso costs about 5 euros per person and it is possible to book guided tours.
WHAT TO VISIT IN SANTA CATERINA DEL SASSO AND IN THE NEARBY REGION
IN THE SITE:
1. Take a boat and reach the hermitage by lake.
2. Discover the history Santa Caterina del Sasso with a guided visit.
3. Walk along the rock following the 268 white steps.
4. Enjoy the view of the maggiore lake through the arches of the porch.
IN THE NEARBY REGION:
1. Trek to Monte Mottarone and fun at the Alpyland park, easily reachble by funicular.
2. Don’t miss the adrenaline of Lake Maggiore Zip line.
3. Visit Villa Taranto in Verbania.
4. Reach the Statue of Saint Carlo Borromeo in Arona.
5. Enjoy a Romantic trip to Stresa and the Borremo Islands.
7. Spend a day at Lake Orta.
8. Book the Lake Maggiore Express: a day trip which includes boat trip to Locarno and the famous ‘cento vallino’ train ride.
EXCLUSIVE EXCURSIONS AND ACTIVITIES IN THE AREA
INFO AND BOOKING
WHERE TO SLEEP NEARBY SANTA CATERINA DEL SASSO - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
Santa Caterina del Sasso is located few km from the touristic village of Laveno that offers hotels and holiday houses. It is possible to find an accomodation in the town or in the panoramic villages of the lake.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses in Laveno and book the best solution for You, using this link:
HOW TO GET TO SANTA CATERINA DEL SASSO
Santa Caterina del Sasso is are located in Italy, on the east side of Maggiore lake, in the village of Leggiuno, few km from Laveno.
By car follow the indications of "Santa Caterina del sasso", a parking area is available in front of the tourist center of the hermitage.
Laveno and Leggiuno are connected and accessibles by train and bus. Santa Caterina del Sasso is connected by boat service with Stresa or with a private boat service from Laveno.
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
ZHR - Zurich airport 3,30h
DON'T MISS THIS SITE OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT SANTA CATERINA DEL SASSO?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.