ARONA AND THE STATUE OF SAN CARLO BORROMEO
Arona is a medieval town located on the south/west shore of Lake Maggiore and overlooked by the Rocca Park.
The old town is known for its narrow streets, with shops, restaurants and cafes. For some years now it has been permanently set up by artistics installations as coloured umbrellas or garlands suspended in the void.
- WHAT TO DO IN ARONA AND NEARBY
- WHERE TO SLEEP IN ARONA
- HOW TO GET TO ARONA AND TO THE STATUE OF SAN CARLO
This iconic image has made Arona famous in many art and design magazines, but its lakeside and fortress gardens have long been a popular destination, especially in spring and summer.
From Arona you can see the east side of Lake Maggiore and the imposing fortress and castle of Angera.
"Arona means diving yourself into the many colors of the old town and the wonderful sunlit umbrellas. After a calm walk along the lake, you can reach the fortress; then up to the top of the magnificent statue of San Carlo Borromeo.
We were lucky and the day was wonderful. Arona is the perfect starting point to visit the main places of Lake Maggiore."
Fabio e Paolo
The fortress of Arona was a medieval defensive structure destroyed during the Napoleonic times. Today the area is the ideal place for a walk and a panoramic pin-nic. It is often also a venue for events and concerts.
To the north, there is the famous statue of San Carlo Borromeo made in the mid-sixteenth century. Today, it is the second tallest statue in the world - with a height of 23 meters - after the Statue of Liberty in New York.
The statue can also be visited internally by paying a ticket directly at the gates at the foot of the staircase, in front of the Basilica of San Carlo.
WHAT TO VISIT IN STRESA, BORROMEO ISLANDS AND IN THE NEARBY REGION
IN THE VILLAGE:
1. Take a boat and visit the beuatiful Borromeo islands.
2. Stop for lunch at one of the numerous restaurants on the charming Isola dei Pescatori.
3. Enjoy an ‘aperitivo’ with breath-taking views from the sky bar at Hotel La Palma.
4. Stroll in the picturesque old town of Stresa with its luxury hotels and 18th century palaces.
5. Family trips to the villa Pallavicino park and its zoo.
IN THE NEARBY REGION:
1. Trek to Monte Mottarone and fun at the Alpyland park, easily reachble by funicular.
2. Don’t miss the adrenaline of Lake Maggiore Zip line.
3. Visit Villa Taranto in Verbania.
4. Reach the Santa Caterina del sasso hermitage.
5. Enjoy a Romantic trip to Stresa and the Borremo Islands.
7. Spend a day at Lake Orta.
8. Book the Lake Maggiore Express: a day trip which includes boat trip to Locarno and the famous ‘cento vallino’ train ride.
EXCLUSIVE EXCURSIONS AND ACTIVITIES IN THE AREA
INFO AND BOOKING
WHERE TO SLEEP IN ARONA - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
Arona offers a hotels and holiday houses. It is possible to find an accomodation in the town or in the panoramic villages of the lake.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses in Arona and book the best solution for You, using this link:
HOW TO GET TO ARONA AND TO THE STATUE OF SAN CARLO
Arona is are located in Italy, on the south/west side of Maggiore lake. Arona is connected and accessible by train, bus and with the boat service of the lake.
To visit the San Carlo Statue , reach the parking area on the top of the "Rocca" above Arona, just beside the Basilica of San Carlo (5min from Arona, direction north ).
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
ZHR - Zurich airport 3,30h
DON'T MISS THIS SITE OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT ARONA?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.