MAGGIA VALLEY FORGET YOUR WORRIES
This unique river landscape, with its countless waterfalls, high mountain peaks, deserted mountain pastures, blue mountain lakes, picturesque villages and side valleys, takes you to a place where you‘ll forget all your worries..
As you enter into the Maggia valley, you have the perception of being in another world. An authentic Alpine valley full of rich local traditions, history and culture, proud of their river, rocky mountains and grottos.
A typical Grotto restaurant of the Valle Maggia close to the Del Salto waterfall.
In the summer months, especially in early May, It is transformed into a swimming paradise, a good alternative to the nearby Lake Maggiore. Big pools are often formed in the mountain rivers which are perfect for fresh water swimming.
POOLS TO SWIMM IN THE MAGGIA VALLEY
This is a list of pools we especially like in the Maggia Valley:
-TEGNA : near the sports field.
-PONTE BROLLA : in a suggestive canyon near the road .
- AVEGNO: two beautiful beaches with golden sand,one of which is next to the great rock sculpture on the road near the electric station.
- MAGGIA :at the impressive Salto waterfall.
- BIGNASCO : at Bignasco waterfall.
- PECCIA : at the Pozzasc grotto.
If you are sporty, this is the valley to you. The Maggia valley offers an interesting array of paths for everyone’s taste. From the simplest path along by the river, to harder trails reaching the Basodino peak. For the most passionate climbers or bouldering climbers, Maggia valley has everything from single pitches for beginners to multi pitch the more challinging routes for the more advanced levels.
Thanks to the vastness of the territory and diversity of altiitudes, you are able to climb in Maggia valley even during the hottest days of summer and also during rainy days (Cevio grotta).
If you are a cycling enthusiast, a new bike trail has just open and runs along the first part of Maggia valley.
Maggia valley is divided into 3 lateral valleys:
-VAL ROVANA: Bosco Gurin village, the only Walser village in Tessin.
-VAL LAVIZZARA: well known for its white marble and its Mogno church. A stunning, authentic village with heavenly trails.
-VAL BAVONA: Our very favourite !! The perfect mix of nature and tradition. Go and visit the towns of Sonlerto and Foroglio at the foot of the falls.. Magnificent excursions to Robiei and the Basodino glacier.
CLOSE TO OUR HEARTS
"The impressive Del Salto waterfall at Maggia and the favolous grotti, La Froda at Foroglio and Pozzasc at Peccia, where you can taste the best polenta in Tessin."
WHAT TO DO AND VISIT IN THE MAGGIA VALLEY AND IN THE NEARBY REGION
IN THE VALLEY:
1. Try steaming hot polenta straight off the stove, in one of Tessin’s typical Grottos.
2. Swim and relax in one of the many mountain river pools.
3. Visit the typical local stone villages built with rock material taken rigorously from the upper Maggia valleys.
4. Go trekking one of the hundreads of magnificent paths in the valley.
5. Do not miss the path between Sonlerto and Bignasco passing through Foroglio.
5. Visit the famous church of San Giovanni Battista at Mogno (Val Lavizzara).
6. Discover the wild green Bavona valley you will fall in love with it.
IN THE NEARBY REGION:
1. Book an excursion to Brissago island by boat.
2. Take a day trip to the Verzasca valley.
3. Visit the Unesco heritage site at Bellinzona’s castles.
4. Discover the Cardada day trip.
5. Drive on the panoramic road of the Maggiore lake.
6. Visit Arona, Stresa and the Borromean islands.
7. Don't miss Ascona the peral of Lake Maggiore.
8. Reach the panoramic sanctuary of Madonna del Sasso above Locarno.
WHERE TO SLEEP IN THE MAGGIA VALLEY - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
The Maggia Valley offers some hotels B&B and holiday houses. It is possible to find an accomodation in the Valley or in the panoramic villages of Lake Maggiore.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses in the Maggia valley and book the best solution for You, using this link:
HOW TO GET TO THE MAGGIA VALLEY
The Maggia valley is located on the north side of Maggiore lake. The Maggia valley is almost 50km long and starts at the town of Ponte Brolla, situated 15 mins by car from Locarno. We urge you to bring your car or hire one if you visit Maggia valley as busses are in frequent.
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
ZHR - Zurich airport 2,30h
BSL - Basel airport 3,00h
DON'T MISS THIS VALLEY OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE MAGGIA VALLEY?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.