OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES IN THE GREEN VERZASCA VALLEY
The Verzasca Valley is undoubtedly one of the most fascinating river valleys in the Swiss Alps. It is south of the Gotthard Pass, in the Tessin region, a real paradise for hiking, alpinism, canyoning, and wilderness lovers.
- WHAT TO DO IN THE VERZASCA VALLEY
- WHERE TO SLEEP IN THE VERZASCA VALLEY
- HOW TO GET TO THE VERZASCA VALLEY
What’s Val Verzasca like? Imagine an emerald green river with completely transparent water, enormous jagged rocks polished and protected by the high mountains....
The most beautiful and renowned spot of the Verzasca valley.
Then imagine a village built strictly in stone on the edge of a rock and a gentle path leading along the river and imagine eating delicious, genuine local products in a friendly grotto restaurant.
This is what the Val Verzasca is, a wild authentic valley of the Alps.
The most beautiful and renowned spot is in the town of Lavertezzo right near the Roman bridge where you can take your best holiday pictures. But you will find these same colours throughout the whole valley.
The Roman bridge at Lavertezzo has been having enormous tourist success like never before, in fact in July and August it can be very chaotic.
We suggest, in fact, that you visit out of season due to the limited parking available. An alternative may be to park at the hotel Posse at the beginning of the town and walk the short distance to the Roman bridge (15 min circa) by crossing another bridge on the right.
POOLS TO SWIMM IN THE VERZASCA VALLEY
We remind you that Verzasca valley is rich in magnificent scenic points and wonderful places to swim, so don’t only focus on Lavertezzo.
Finally, we want to remind you that while the mountain rivers are beautiful and inviting, they are cold and have strong currents. Unfortunately accidents are frequent. We urge you to be prudent especially with children.
TREKKING IN THE VERZASCA VALLEY
The Verzasca Valley is a beautiful location for long and short trekking. The famous "Sentierone" is an easy path that runs the length of the entire valley (9 hrs aprox.), fortunately it can be done in stages and the postal bus utilized for the return journey.
We can highly recommend the simple Corippo-Lavertezzo trail (1.5hr aprox.) suitable also for families with little kids. It winds in and out of the trees over bridges with amazing views on the river.
CLOSE TO OUR HEARTS
"The emerald coloured water, unique in its kind, to be found nowhere else. Sonogno town with all the local stone houses. "
WHAT TO DO AND VISIT IN THE VERZASCA VALLEY AND IN THE NEARBY REGION
IN THE VALLEY:
1. Take a rest on the highest dam in Europe (220m), where, if you are lucky, you may be able to see ( or do) the famous 007 bungee jumping.
2. Enjoy a swim in the inviting river waters. The most beautiful and renowned spot is in the town of Lavertezzo.
3. Have lunch in one of the many typical local Grottos of Verzasca valley.
4. Participate in an excursion on the famous Sentierone path.
5. Canyoning adventure to take the greatest advantage of this amazing river see.
IN THE NEARBY REGION:
1. Book an excursion to Brissago island by boat.
3. Visit the Unesco heritage site at Bellinzona’s castles.
4. Discover the Cardada day trip.
5. Drive on the panoramic road of the Maggiore lake.
6. Visit Arona, Stresa and the Borromean islands.
7. Don't miss Ascona the peral of Lake Maggiore.
8. Reach the panoramic sanctuary of Madonna del Sasso above Locarno.
WHERE TO SLEEP IN THE VERZASCA VALLEY - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
The Verzasca Valley offers some hotels B&B and holiday houses. It is possible to find an accomodation in the Valley or in the panoramic villages of Lake Maggiore.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses in the Verzasca valley and book the best solution for You, using this link:
HOW TO GET TO THE VERZASCA VALLEY
The Verzasca valley is located on the north side of Maggiore lake, Highway exit Tenero, near Locarno. By bus: Departure on the hour from the post bus station at Locarno.
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
ZHR - Zurich airport 2,30h
BSL - Basel airport 3,00h
DON'T MISS THIS VALLEY OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE VERZASCA VALLEY?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.