LOCARNO THE SWISS CITY OF LAKE MAGGIORE
Locarno is situated in the Ticino region, near the delta of the Maggia River, nearby the beautiful Ascona. Its unique position, Mediterranean climate and warm local hospitality, makes Locarno a popolar destination of Lake Maggiore.
Locarno's Piazza Grande is the heart of the city, distinguished by its 700 m long series of harmonious porticos built in the Lombard architectural style and accommodating numerous businesses and restaurants.
This street is full of ancient palaces and is particularly animated in the summer during the musical show "Moon & Stars" and then again during the renowned International Film Festival.
Locarno's Piazza Grande is the heart of the city and the location of the international Locarno Film Festival
Piazza Grande is also the departure point to visit the important sites of Locarno, like the Visconti Castle, the numerous churches of the Città Vecchia, the lake front and the historical sanctuary of Madonna del Sasso, situated on a hill, that offers a beautiful view of the city and Lake Maggiore.
CLOSE TO OUR HEARTS
"The international atmosphere of the Locarno film Festival and the view from the Madonna del Sasso sanctuary."
WHAT TO VISIT IN LOCARNO AND IN THE NEARBY REGION
IN THE VILLAGE:
1. Walk in the alleyways of the old town city to reach Piazza Grande.
2. Visit the Visconteo Castle.
3. Relax at the Locarno lido.
4. Visit the contemporary art museum collection at Ghisla art collection.
5. Reach the historical and panoramic sanctuary of the Madonna del Sasso at Orselina.
6. Don’t miss a bike ride on the cycle path on lakeside in the direction of Tenero.
7. Falconeria of Locarno a great family experience, discover the world of birds of prey.
8. Save the date of the Locarno Film Festival.
IN THE NEARBY REGION:
1. Book an excursion to Brissago island by boat.
2. Take a day trip to the Maggia and Verzasca valleys.
3. Visit the Unesco heritage site at Bellinzona’s castles.
4. Discover the Cardada day trip.
5. Drive on the panoramic road of the Maggiore lake.
6. Visit Arona, Stresa and the Borromean islands.
7. Don't miss Ascona the peral of Lake Maggiore.
WHERE TO SLEEP IN LOCARNO - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
Locarno offers a large number of hotels and holiday houses. It is possible to find an accomodation in the town or in the panoramic villages of the lake.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses in Locarno and book the best solution for You, using this link:
HOW TO GET TO LOCARNO
Locarno is located on the north side of Maggiore lake. It is well connected and accessible by pubblic transport and with the boat service of the lake.
To best visit the valley, consider hiring a car or scooter.
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
ZHR - Zurich airport 2,30h
BSL - Basel airport 3,00h
DON'T MISS THIS CITY OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT LOCARNO?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.