STELLISEE LAKE: THE MIRROR OF MATTERHORN
An unmissable destination for hikers and photographers is the Stellisse pond in the Zermatt valley, which we can certainly call the mirror of the Matterhorn.
This small alpine lake, thanks to its position perfectly aligned with the east face and the Hornli ridge of the Matterhorn, is today one of the most photographed lakes in the Alps.
Lake Stellisee is located at an altitude of 2537m on the east side of the Zermatt valley and can be reached in about 20 minutes on foot from the top station of the Blauherd cable car.
"Also featured in our video ExplorAlp - A Day on the Alps, Lake Stellisee is an easy destination that can give you incredible emotions, especially at sunrise and sunset.
The most daring can take their tent and admire the stars reflected in the lake together with the pyramid-shaped outline of the Matterhorn."
Fabio e Paolo
From Lake Stellisee you can reach the Fluhalp refuge in a short time and continue towards the great glacier of the Monte Rosa group.
Alternatively, you can walk back to the Sunnega funicular station, passing the Grindjisee lake, which is surrounded by a series of larch trees and offers a beautiful setting, for another photo with the Matterhorn.
Near the station of Sunnega there is the Wolli entertainment area, adjacent to the Leisee pond, dedicated to children and youngsters. This is a great space, for an afternoon of fun, for the whole family.
Lake Stellisee can be reached from Zermatt via the Sunnega funicular railway and then on foot along an easy path. Alternatively, it is possible to take the Baluherd cable car up again and walk only the last part of the path for about 20 minutes.
WHAT TO DO IN ZERMATT AND IN THE NEARBY REGION
1. Stroll through the historic village of Zermatt and visit the Matterhorn Museum.
2. Take the cable car to the Klein Matterhorn and visit the Glacier Palace.
3. Endless fun on the slopes of the Matterhorn ski Paradise.
4. Treat yourself to a panoramic trip on the Zermatt-Gornergrat train.
5. Climb the Hornli Ridge or the Lion's Ridge and reach the summit of the Matterhorn.
6. Reach the huts in the Zermatt Valley along the great glaciers of the Alps.
7. Stroll through the historic huts and barns of the Zermatt alpine pastures.
8. Don't miss a hike to the famous Lake Stellisee.
9. Hiking and mountain biking along the scenic routes in the Zermatt valley.
10. Take a breathtaking helicopter flight across the epic north face of the Matterhorn.
IN THE NEARBY REGION
1. Glacier Express a trip not to be missed between Zermatt, Andermatt, and St. Moritz.
2. Mountaineering among the peaks and ridges of Monte Rosa.
3. Discover the Roman remains and the modern art museum in Martigny.
4. Reach the medieval castle of Sion.
5. Relax on the waters of the great Lake Geneva.
6. Taste the wines of Canton Valais and discover its history at the Aigle Castle Museum.
7. Mont Blanc mountaineering, nature, and history on the border between Italy, France, and Switzerland.
8. Aletsch, the largest glacier in the Alps, can be reached by cable car to the fantastic Fiescheralp viewpoint.
WHERE TO SLEEP IN ZERMATT - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
The tourist villages of Zermatt offer numerous holiday solutions, with high-level excellence, other solutions are available in the other villages of the two valleys.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses in Zermatt and book the best solution for You, using this links:
HOW TO GET TO ZERMATT
Zermatt can only be reached by train, via the train that connects it to Visp. By car, you can reach the village of Tasch (large parking spaces available) and then continue for about 30min by train.
Attention Zermatt and Cervinia are not directly connected only through the ski routes, in fact only in the winter period, with the purchase of the international ski pass, you can move from one side to the other and reach the 2 resorts with the ski lifts and the connecting ski slopes.
Zermatt, check here for your flight on:
ZHR - Zurich airport 3,30h
BSL - Basel airport 3,30h
GVA - Geneve airport 2,30h
DON'T MISS THIS SITE OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT STELLISEE LAKE?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.