GORNERGRAT RAILWAY TO THE ZERMATT SUMMITS
After a leisurely stroll through the center of Zermatt, you can set off to discover its beautiful peaks and glaciers by taking the historic Zermatt-Gornergrat cogwheel train.
The Gornergrat railway was built at the end of the 19th century and connects the center of Zermatt to the top of the Gornergrat, overcoming an altitude difference of 1500m thanks to bridges, tunnels, and tracks that run along the mountainside, giving passengers a fantastic view of the Matterhorn and the entire valley.
At the top of the Gornergrat, there is a large astronomical observatory with station and restaurants. A wonderful panoramic terrace offers a 360-degree view from the Matterhorn to the peaks of Monte Rosa.
During the ascent, which takes about 30 minutes, it is also possible to descend to intermediate stations and in summer back to Zermatt along paths.
"We have reached Zermatt and here the choice is really wide.
We welcomed the opportunity of our international ski pass, which we bought in Cervinia, and boarded the Zermatt-Gornergrat train. An ideal place for a break after all morning on skis.
The view is wonderful and dazzling with all this snow, maybe we will come back in summer, to walk to the glacier and the famous Monte Rosa Refuge in the shape of a diamond. "
Fabio e Paolo
The Gornergrat Railway, Gornergrat Bahn in German, is an integral part of the Matterhorn Ski Paradise ski area in winter and can be used by skiers with a ski pass to reach the slopes and lifts.
On the website you can choose the priority boarding, to select your seat (extra service for a fee). Throughout the year the use of the railway can be included in dedicated packages, with theme dinners and events, or included in a multi-pass ticket, for the ascent of other attractions, such as the Klein Matterhorn cable car.
The cost of the return ticket Zermatt - Gornergrat is about 100 euros in high season (July and August).
Mountaineers can use this railway and then continue on to the Gorner glacier and the futuristic Monte Rosa mountain hut, a modern building made of wood and metal in the shape of a diamond, the base for climbing in the Monte Rosa group.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OPENING TIMES, PRICES AND OFFERS ON THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE:Gornergrat Bahn
WHAT TO DO IN ZERMATT AND IN THE NEARBY REGION
1. Stroll through the historic village of Zermatt and visit the Matterhorn Museum.
2. Take the cable car to the Klein Matterhorn and visit the Glacier Palace.
3. Endless fun on the slopes of the Matterhorn ski Paradise.
4. Treat yourself to a panoramic trip on the Zermatt-Gornergrat train.
5. Climb the Hornli Ridge or the Lion's Ridge and reach the summit of the Matterhorn.
6. Reach the huts in the Zermatt Valley along the great glaciers of the Alps.
7. Stroll through the historic huts and barns of the Zermatt alpine pastures.
8. Don't miss a hike to the famous Lake Stellisee.
9. Hiking and mountain biking along the scenic routes in the Zermatt valley.
10. Take a breathtaking helicopter flight across the epic north face of the Matterhorn.
IN THE NEARBY REGION
1. Glacier Express a trip not to be missed between Zermatt, Andermatt, and St. Moritz.
2. Mountaineering among the peaks and ridges of Monte Rosa.
3. Discover the Roman remains and the modern art museum in Martigny.
4. Reach the medieval castle of Sion.
5. Relax on the waters of the great Lake Geneva.
6. Taste the wines of Canton Valais and discover its history at the Aigle Castle Museum.
7. Mont Blanc mountaineering, nature, and history on the border between Italy, France, and Switzerland.
8. Aletsch, the largest glacier in the Alps, can be reached by cable car to the fantastic Fiescheralp viewpoint.
WHERE TO SLEEP IN ZERMATT - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
The tourist villages of Zermatt offer numerous holiday solutions, with high-level excellence, other solutions are available in the other villages of the two valleys.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses in Zermatt and book the best solution for You, using this links:
HOW TO GET TO ZERMATT
Zermatt can only be reached by train, via the train that connects it to Visp. By car, you can reach the village of Tasch (large parking spaces available) and then continue for about 30min by train.
Attention Zermatt and Cervinia are not directly connected only through the ski routes, in fact only in the winter period, with the purchase of the international ski pass, you can move from one side to the other and reach the 2 resorts with the ski lifts and the connecting ski slopes.
Zermatt, check here for your flight on:
ZHR - Zurich airport 3,30h
BSL - Basel airport 3,30h
GVA - Geneve airport 2,30h
DON'T MISS THIS SITE OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE GORNERGRAT RAILWAY?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.