VALLEE BLANCHE FREERIDE SULLA MER DE GLACE
An unmissable itinerary in the heart of the Mont Blanc group, the freeride along the Vallée Blanche is a winter classic of Courmayeur and Chamonix. From Punta Helbronner or the Auguille du Midi, both accessible by cable car, you can run your skis along the Mer de Glace glacier to Chamonix.
- WHAT TO DO IN COURMAYEUR, CHAMONIX AND NEARBY
- WHERE TO SLEEP IN COURMAYEUR AND CHAMONIX
- HOW TO GET TO COURMAYEUR AND CHAMONIX
The adventure can start at the Skyway cable car in Courmayeur, going up to the station of Punta Helbronner (3466 m), or at the Compagnie du Mont-Blanc cable car in Chamonix going up to the station of the Aiguille du Midi (3842 m).
"Our first time at Punta Helbronner was with the old cable car, cramped in the small blue cabin, and then skiing down the beautiful Vallée Blanche, an experience documented in our videos ExplorAlp. The beautiful and windless day gave us an unforgettable ski trip to Chamonix.
The skis run fast on the plateau, next to big seracs and above the crevasses. It looks like a big ski slope, but we are at high altitude between the peaks of Mont Blanc. You have to remember this and have respect for this wonderful environment, but still strict...
Be careful and have fun!"
Lorenzo e Paolo
Once you reach the top station of the cable car, a short stretch on foot gives access to the Mont Blanc glacier plateau (from the Auiguile di Midi the first stretch is on a ridge area but equipped with fixed ropes). Here begins your descent on skis, along the Vallee Blanche, in a unique environment in the Alps.
Around you the highest and most epic peaks in Europe, for the history of mountaineering, such as Mont Blanc-Mont Blanc, the Grand Jorasses, the Petit Dru, the Dente del Gigante, and the Grand Capucin.
In the final part of the Vallee Blanche, at the end of the Mer de Glace glacier, it is necessary to take off your skis and walk up a stretch (about 20min.) to reach the connecting road to Chamonix, which can be covered on skis.
SAFETY ALONG THE VALLEE BLANCHE
It should be remembered that the starting altitude on skis is around 3450m, the altitude will be felt on your legs.
The route runs along imposing seracs and over numerous glacier crevasses. We recommend the descent with the complete avalanche kit, Artva, shovel, and probe. Wearing a mountaineering harness, with high attached lanyard and a protective helmet is essential.
In recent years, due to the retreat of the glaciers and the reduced presence of snow, the risk of falling into a crevasse has risen considerably even with skis.
Certainly, the descent in the company of a certified mountain guide can guarantee your safety, as well as offering you stories of the peaks that surround you.
This valley is full of anecdotes linked to the epic history of mountaineering and Mont Blanc.
WHAT TO DO IN COURMAYEUR, IN CHAMONIX AND IN THE NEARBY REGION
1. Take the futuristic SkyWay cable car to Helbronner Point.
2. Stroll along with the characteristic Via Roma and Viale Monte Bianco, in the center of Courmayeur.
3. Adrenaline on skis along the off-piste routes around Courmayeur.
4. Reach the pretty Sanctuary of Notre-Dame de Guérison.
5. Visit the famous Museum of the House of Mountain Guides.
6. Don't miss the Mont Blanc ultra trail at the end of August.
7. Immerse yourself in nature in Val Ferret and reach the Bonatti Refuge.
8. Relax at the historic Pré Saint Didier Spa and the new Chamonix Spa.
9. Reach Chamonix on skis through the Vallée Blanche along the Mer de Glace glacier.
10. Take the perfect picture of Mont Blanc from the Belvedere d'Arpy.
11. Walk along the long Val Veny to the famous Miage glacier and lake.
12. Excursion for the whole family to Lac Blanc and Lacs du Cheseryscon.
13. Reach the Mer de Glace glacier with the Chamonix-Montenvers train.
14. Taste Europe's highest sparkling wine in Mourgeux.
15. Don't miss the typical products of Valle d'Aosta, Fontina, Toma di Gressoney, Lardo di Arnad, and Jambon De Bosses.
16. Book a panoramic flight between the walls of Mont Blanc and Mont Blanc.
WHERE TO SLEEP IN COURMAYEUR AND CHAMONIX - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
Courmayeur is located in the upper Aosta Valley at the foot of Mont Blanc, Chamonix on the French side and offers many hotels, B&B and holiday homes.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses in Courmayeur and Chamonix and book the best solution for You, using this links:
HOW TO GET TO COURMAYEUR AND CHAMONIX
Courmayeur is a tourist village about 1200m in the upper Aosta Valley near the Mont Blanc Tunnel.
The area can be reached by car from Aosta along the Mont Blanc motorway. From France through the Mont Blanc Tunnel. By train: connections to Aosta. Between Aosta and Courmayeur bus service (stop Pré Saint Didier).
The Vallée Blanche can be reached from Courmayeur by Skyway cable car, which is located in Entrevés, going up to the top station of Punta Helbronner. The valley station has ample outdoor and indoor parking and is connected by bus service to the center of Courmayeur.
The return from Chamonix to Courmayeur is possible thanks to a bus line, which connects the two ski resorts. We recommend booking.
Chamonix is a tourist village at about 1200m in Haute Savoie near the Mont Blanc Tunnel.
The area can be reached by car from Lyon or Geneva along the Mont Blanc motorway. Italy can be reached through the Mont Blanc Tunnel. By Train: Chamonix can be reached by train from the French national network.
The Vallée Blanche can be reached from Chamonix by the cable car du Compagnie du Mont Blanc, which connects with the Aiguille du Midi mountain station.
The first section on foot, at the exit of the cable car, involves an aerial ridge traverse, usually equipped with fixed ropes.
The valley station has ample parking spaces.
Check here for your flight on:
TRN - Turin airport 1,30h
GVA - Geneve airport 1,30h
LYS - Lyon airport 2,00h
DON'T MISS THIS SITE OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT VALLEE BLANCHE?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.