THE SAN PIETRO AL MONTE ABBEY
The incredible Romanesque San Pietro al Monte abbey is located in the chestnut woods of the Cornizzolo mountain. This place can only be reached on foot and it is a simple, but great hiking opportunity in the Lecco area.
- WHAT TO DO AT THE SAN PIETRO AL MONTE ABBEY
- WHERE TO SLEEP NEARBY THE SAN PIETRO AL MONTE ABBEY
- HOW TO GET TO THE SAN PIETRO AL MONTE ABBEY
There are no monks living there, and the abbey is managed by the voluntary association ‘Amici di San Pietro’ who takes care of the maintenance and opening of the place.
The Basilica of San Pietro, the monastery and the San Benedetto oratory are totally made of local exposed stone. The indoor walls are frescoed with 10th-century artworks.
"The walk to the San Pietro abbey brought me back in time. The path winds its way back in a dense broadleaf forest, a natural shelter from the sun. the green lawn space suddenly appears with the abbey. It just seems to be ancient pilgrims on their way to the monastery.
I was impressed by the beauty and size of the well-preserved stone building that gives a mystical and emotional charm to that place. Moving in the woods, I reached the top of the Monte Cornizzolo. I had the opportunity to enjoy the paragliders’ flight and the panoramic view over the plain and the Lariani mountains "
Reserved guided tours of the location are available throughout the year. You just have to contact the association “Amici di San Pietro”. Daily openings are planned from April to October.
There are many original artworks both inside and outside the abbey. At the ground floor, there is a precious crypt, the oldest part of the building. On the outside, there is a green area surrounding the building with a stunning panoramic view over the Barro mountain and the Pusiano lake.
The San Pietro al Monte abbey can be reached through the many paths that cross the woods, from Civate and Suello. It is a 1-hour walk. Otherwise, you can reach by bus the “Rifugio Sec Marisa Consigliere” (1110 m) located close to the Cornizzolo peak and descend the slope to San Pietro al Monte (500 m lower). The shuttle services are provided and organized by the Suello paragliders clubs.
- ADD THE SAN PIETRO AL MONTE ABBEY TO YOUR MYALPS WISHLIST
- MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SAN PIETRO AL MONTE ABBEY
WHAT TO DO AND VISIT AT THE SAN PIETRO AL MONTE ABBEY AREA
AT THE ABBEY
1. Don’t miss the opportunity to visit the incredible Romanesque abbey of San Pietro al Monte.
2. Reach the panoramic peak of the Cornizzolo Mountain.
3. Choose one of the easy hiking tours of the day. Cross the Cornizzolo Mountain paths starting from Suello or Civate.
4. Enjoy a paraglider flight from the Cornizzolo Mountain or book a tandem flight. An incredible and safe experience.
5. Sleep at the Rifugio Sec Marisa Consigliere (1100 m) or enjoy a relaxing stop there.
IN THE NEARBY AREA
1. Enjoy the summer feeling at Lidi of the Como Lake in Parè and Malgrate
2. Discover the natural area of the Monte Barro.
3. Climbing on the Corni di Canzo and on the Grignetta Mountain.
4. Visit the city of Lecco and the cosy town of Malgrate.
5. Bike to the famous Bellagio across the hills and visit the museum of the bikers at the Santuario Della Madonna del Ghisallo.
7. Don't miss a visit of Como and Brunate.
8. Take a boat from the beautiful Varenna to Bellagio.
9. Visit the museum of Moto Guzzi in Mandello del Lario.
WHERE TO SLEEP NEARBY THE SAN PIETRO AL MONTE ABBEY - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
The San Pietro al MOnte Abbey, on the mount Cornizzolo, is above the villages of Suello and Civate that offers fewer hotels and a number of holiday houses. It is possible to find an accomodation also in others villages of the area and in the city of Lecco.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses nearby the Mount Cornizzolo and book the best solution for You, using this link:
HOW TO GET TO THE SAN PIETRO AL MONTE ABBEY
Located between Como and Lecco above the village of Suello and Civate, the San Pietro al Monte abbey is on the Mount Cornizzolo and is reachble from these village by foot only. During week end a shuttle bus is available from the paragliding landing area in Suello, to the top of mount Cornizzolo. Suello is reachble by car driving on the 36ss road and is connected by busses to Lecco and Como.
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
DON'T MISS THIS SITE OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE SAN PIETRO AL MONTE ABBEY?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.