GROTTI THE LOCAL TAVERN OF TESSIN
In Tessin (Ticino in italian), Grotto, a local tavern, is the synonym of relaxation, homemade food, polenta, cured meats, pasture cheeses and wine enjoyed outdoors.
Many Grotti are popolar in the beautiful Maggia Valley and Verzasca Valley. A beautiful location with a pubblic Grotto is in Giumaglio (Maggia valley), close to the Del Salto waterfall.
These places were built to preserve wine and food. They are sometimes built into the rock and are always located in cool shaded places, often they are not far from the town or at the edge of the forest, sometimes, they can even be found on river banks or streams.
Some Grotti maintain their initial function of preserving wine, cured meats and cheese doubling as a private get together location.
Others, with time, have taken on a public character and have turned into restaurants or meeting points where, in a rustic and informal environment, local food and products are served.
WHAT TO DO AND VISIT IN THE MAGGIA VALLEY AND IN THE NEARBY REGION
IN THE VALLEY:
1. Try steaming hot polenta straight off the stove, in one of Tessin’s typical Grottos.
2. Swim and relax in one of the many mountain river pools.
3. Visit the typical local stone villages built with rock material taken rigorously from the upper Maggia valleys.
4. Go trekking one of the hundreads of magnificent paths in the valley.
5. Do not miss the path between Sonlerto and Bignasco passing through Foroglio.
5. Visit the famous church of San Giovanni Battista at Mogno (Val Lavizzara).
6. Discover the wild green Bavona valley you will fall in love with it.
IN THE NEARBY REGION:
1. Book an excursion to Brissago island by boat.
2. Take a day trip to the Verzasca valley.
3. Visit the Unesco heritage site at Bellinzona’s castles.
4. Discover the Cardada day trip.
5. Drive on the panoramic road of the Maggiore lake.
6. Visit Arona, Stresa and the Borromean islands.
7. Don't miss Ascona the peral of Lake Maggiore.
8. Reach the panoramic sanctuary of Madonna del Sasso above Locarno.
WHERE TO SLEEP IN THE MAGGIA VALLEY - HOTELS, B&B, APARTMENTS
The Maggia Valley offers some hotels B&B and holiday houses. It is possible to find an accomodation in the Valley or in the panoramic villages of Lake Maggiore.
Thanks to pictures, facilities informations and reviews, You can check easly the availability of Hotels, B&B and Holiday Houses in the Maggia valley and book the best solution for You, using this link:
HOW TO GET TO THE MAGGIA VALLEY
The Maggia valley is located on the north side of Maggiore lake. The Maggia valley is almost 50km long and starts at the town of Ponte Brolla, situated 15 mins by car from Locarno. We urge you to bring your car or hire one if you visit Maggia valley as busses are in frequent.
A beautiful location to eat in a public Grotto is in Giumaglio (Maggia Valley), close to the Del Salto waterfall.
FLIGHT CONNECTIONS: Check here for your flight on:
ZHR - Zurich airport 2,30h
BSL - Basel airport 3,00h
DON'T MISS THIS SITE OF THE ALPS
SAVE IT NOW. It is Easy! Just Log-in your MyAlps personal area and then Add it to your MyExplorAlp Wishlist using the follow botton:
Are You not registered to Myalps yet? Do it here: MyAlps
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE GROTTI?
CONTACT US NOW or let Your precious comment or suggestion in the follow Comment Form of this page.